Compound nouns are nouns which were created by becoming a member of two phrases collectively.
There are three varieties.
– Joined (enter / rest room / waterpark)
– Open (submit workplace / actual property / night time watchman)
– Hyphenated (mother-in-law / jack-in-the-box)
If you find yourself educating compound nouns to your college students it is sensible to spend the majority of your time exploring the joined type.
It’s because open ones are straightforward to know. They’re actually simply generally used adjective noun pairs.
In flip, hyphenated ones are uncommon. It’s often sufficient to introduce them and present a couple of examples.
With that in thoughts, listed here are some joined compound noun lesson concepts!
1. Write a mixture of easy phrases on the board and ask your college students to make use of them to create as many compound nouns as they will. Attempt these phrases – air again aspect hand mattress dying watch mattress ear ache farm yard hand foot step hair line minimize half method hand-crafted. After a couple of minutes ask 4 or 5 college students to recommend different phrases so as to add to the listing.
2. Concentrate on one phrase and see what number of totally different endings yow will discover. For instance: earache, eardrum, earlobe, earmarked, earmuff, earphone, earring, earshot.
A enjoyable strategy to get youthful college students to provide you with the solutions is to supply cloze sentences that may solely be answered with a compound noun that begins with phrase. For instance: I’ve a really dangerous ear_____. A nasty ear an infection may cause the ear_____ to burst. I’ve an ear_____ that’s pierced with two earrings. I’ve ear______ the web page I would like you to learn.
Different good beginning phrases are earth, grand, hand and head. A dictionary is a fast strategy to lookup all of the attainable mixtures.
three. Problem your college students to think about 100 compound nouns by the top of the week.
This works nicely if they’ve a web page titled “100 Compound Nouns”. They will begin by ruling four or 5 columns and writing the numbers 1 to 100. This may be executed every day as a category exercise or as homework. A dictionary is a superb useful resource for this exercise.
This might be prolonged the next week by asking every scholar to contribute to a category assortment. The phrases might be written on playing cards and pinned to a discover board or written on a big piece of cardboard. Setting a objective of 300 or extra phrases may also help to encourage the scholars.
This extension exercise may be an amazing small group activity for these self-motivated college students that thrive on challenges.