Whereas GarageBand could also be marketed as an entry-level program, it offers a shocking variety of nice sounding results. Along with sounding nice, these results are additionally very straightforward to work with. Let us take a look at the totally different ways in which results can be utilized in your GarageBand songs.
Software program Devices
Software program devices come pre-loaded with 4 results. Let us take a look at them individually:
- Compressor: Technically, compression is a type of dynamics processing that permits you to “squeeze” the dynamic vary of a sign. In real-world phrases, which means the distinction between the loudest a part of a sign and the softest half is decreased. In impact, the gentle elements of a sound get a bit louder and the loud elements get a bit of softer. This enables the sign to come out just a little extra within the combine. Compression is used most frequently on very dynamic alerts like drums and vocals.
- Visible EQ: Brief for equalization, EQ permits you to improve or lower the quantity of sure frequency ranges in a sound. As you add tracks to your track chances are you’ll discover that your combine begins to sound “muddy” and undefined. You possibly can fight this by eradicating unimportant frequencies from every monitor. For instance, eradicating some low-mids from a vocal monitor might assist it sparkle a bit of extra.
- Grasp Echo: This slider controls how a lot sign from this monitor is shipped by way of the Grasp Echo impact.
- Grasp Reverb: This slider controls how a lot sign from this monitor is shipped by way of the Grasp Reverb impact.
Actual devices come pre-loaded with the identical 4 results as software program devices, with the addition of 1 new impact:
- Noise Gate: The aim of a noise gate is to maintain out or “flip off” any sound under a sure threshold or quantity degree. An ideal use for a noise gate can be to remove pickup noise and hum from a guitar sign. When the guitarist is not enjoying the noise gate is closed, maintaining the pickup hum from being heard within the combine, however as quickly because the guitarist begins enjoying the noise gate opens up and the guitar sign is let via.
Guitar tracks cope with results in a unique method from software program and actual devices. To not disappoint anybody, however I’ll save this for an additional article. I would not be capable of do it justice in a couple of brief sentences right here.
The alerts from all the separate tracks in GarageBand run by way of the consequences on the grasp monitor. The grasp monitor in GarageBand comes pre-loaded with 5 results which are damaged into two teams:
The quantity of every monitor that runs by way of these two results is managed by the grasp sliders on every instrument monitor.
- Echo: An echo is a delayed repeat of a sound that often happens at a subdivision of the beat, like quarter-notes or eighth-notes.
- Reverb: Put collectively sufficient separate echoes and what you get is reverb. Consider reverb as the atmosphere of an area. Usually, the larger the area, the longer the reverb time.
These default to off so you will want to show them on if you wish to use them.
- Visible EQ: Similar as with the software program and actual devices.
- Compressor: Ditto
- Ducker: Used most frequently in voice-over work, a ducker is designed to mechanically scale back the quantity of backing tracks whereas a lead monitor performs. This is not used too typically in music.
Simply Use The Presets
The consequences in GarageBand are all very editable however I might recommend that you simply begin through the use of the presets. Every impact comes with a really good set of presets that may work nicely for about 90% of your wants. If you end up needing one thing that the presets aren’t supplying you with then I might recommend following these steps:
- Decide a preset that’s near what you’re on the lookout for.
- Clicking on the graphic on the left aspect of the impact will deliver up the modifying parameters for that exact impact.
- Now begin adjusting the impact parameters till you get the sound you need. Do not be afraid to experiment as a result of you possibly can all the time return to the preset in the event you actually mess issues up.